There are many sayings and quotes given by many pirates and privateers. Some of which can be described here.
Famous Pirate Phrases
It points toward the back side of the boat
- Batten down the hatches
It is the signal given to prepare the ship from the upcoming storm
- Talk Like a Pirate Day
The day of 19th September is a spoofing holiday that was created by John Baur in 1955. This day is celebrated as the International Talk Like a Pirate Day. This day emerged as the holiday and a romanticized view from the Golden Age of Piracy.
It was announced that on this day everyone should behave, walk and talk like a pirate. For example, if you meet someone on this day, instead of greeting them with “Hello Everyone”, one needs to say ” Ahoy, Maties!” or “Ahoy, my hearties!”, Just the way the Pirates would meet anyone.
- Walk the Plank
It is a punishment which is more mythical that ensures making someone should walk off the side of the ship on the plank. The hand of the person to face this punishment is tied with ropes so that he could not swim and escape. It makes sure that the person is drowned.
- Black Jack
It means a Pirate flag or a large tankard
- Shiver me Timbers
This is an expression which shows disbelief and shock
- Three Sheets to the wind
It is a phrase used for someone who is very highly drunk.
- No prey, No Pay
It is a famous law among the pirates which means that crew of the ship doesn’t get paid, but they can only share the loot.
- Davy Jones Locker
It is a mythological place located at the bottom of the sea where the drowned sailors are said to go.
- Splice the Mainbrace
It is an order given on the naval vessels to allow the crew to have an alcoholic drink
- Dead Men Tell No Tales
The reason that is given for leaving no survivors
- Jolly Roger
The Famous flag of the pirate with a skull and crossbones on it.
- Poop Deck
The highest and the farthest deck
Famous Pirate Quotes
Some of Famous Pirate Quotes include:
- No pirate shall ever drive a minivan, unless he drives the minivan into a tavern, for the purposes of looting barrels of rum from the said tavern. Upon completion of this task, the minivan is to be burned. No exceptions.
2. No matter how hard it is raining, two pirates may never share an umbrella. Pirates do not fear the rain.
3. If circumstances demand a career change, a move into real estate brokerage or tax collection shall be considered a lateral move and said individual may keep their pirate status.
4. A pirate does not snuggle with an animal unless he is trying to snap its neck. But I guess that wouldn’t really be “snuggling”.
5. A pirate may never wear another man’s clothing unless he first kills that man.
6. Two pirates must never share a bed or a hammock. It is perfectly acceptable for one pirate to sleep on the floor, or on a pile of treasure.
7. Pirates do not wear eyeglasses or bifocals unless they are looking at a treasure map, and even then they are allowed only a monacle. Any comments about “Mr Peanut” while wearing the monocle are prohibited.
8. Hooks are the only acceptable hand substitute. However, they may not have secondary attachments such as screwdrivers, bottle openers, corkscrews, or nail files. These are Pirates we’re talking about, not Inspector Gadget.
9. A pirate’s diet consists mainly of meat. If at sea, and meat is not available, shoe leather is an acceptable replacement.
10. Pirate Law: You can’t spell pirate, without “irate”. There’s a reason for that, so don’t even try.
11. No pirate will ever, ever raise his pinky when drinking any sort of beverage.
12. Pirate Law: When choosing to clothe, even if it looks dirty, or smells dirty, it is clean.
13. When describing the size of a treasure, a pirate is required to exaggerate by at least 130%. Flowers are not treasured under any circumstances unless said flowers are made out of gold.
14. A pirate shall never wear lipstick, nail polish, or capri pants. Actually, that kinda goes without saying.
15. No pirate shall discuss his feelings unless his feelings include gutting a man from stem to stern and spilling his entrails.
16. A pirate should always remove his hat in the presence of a bartender.
17. During a swordfight, sword fighting insults are required. In the event both participants are still alive at the end of
the fight, the participant with the superior insults shall be declared the victor.
Some More Pirate Quotes
What are some famous pirate sayings?
“In an honest service, there is thin commons, low wages and hard labours.”
“For my part, I am the inocentest of them all, only I have been sworn against by perjured persons.”
Anne Bonny quotes –
“If you’d fought like a man, you would not have been hang’d like a dog.”
Captain Hook quote –
“If I could only find his hideout, I’d trap him in his liar.”
What was Blackbear’s favourite quote?
There are multiple quotations of Pirate Blackbeard that have become famous over time. Some of them are:
“It is a blessing for a man to have a hand in determining his own fate.”
“Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.”
“Let’s jump on board and cut them to pieces.”
What is Jack Sparrow’s Catchphrase?
“Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.”
Literary Pirate quotes
Some literary pirate sayings are:
“One could mention many lovable traits in Smee. For instance, after killing, it was his spectacles he wiped instead of his weapons.” – Peter Pan
“Whether we wound or are wounded, the blood that flows is red.” – Eiichiro Oda.
“If I take a tumble, I may quite a splash, but at least I won’t smash against the deck and make a mess. Still be dead though.” – Bloody Jack.