William Shakespeares Characters:
William Shakespeares Characters in Hamlet
- House of Hamlet- Hamlet( son of the deceased king), Claudius( the new King of Denmark and Hamlet’s uncle), Gertrude(Queen of Denmark and mother of Hamlet);
- Polonius Family- Polonius(Lord Chamberlain), Ophelia(daughter), Laertes(son); and Servant Reynaldo
- Rosencrantz and Guildenstern(also courtiers), Horatio friends of Hamlet
- Ghost of Hamlet’s father;
- Courtiers- Osric, Voltimand, and Cornelius
- Other Characters included- Officers Marcellus and Bernardo, Soldier Francisco, Fortinbras(Prince of Norway), a sexton, a clown and actors who played the role of King, Queen, and Lucianus.
William Shakespeares Characters in Macbeth
- House of Duncan- Duncan (King of Scotland), his eldest son Malcolm, and youngest son Donalbain
- House of Macbeth- Macbeth (General in the Army who became Thane of Glamis and Thane of Cawdor and finally became King of Scotland, and his wife Lady Macbeth (Queen of Scotland), Servant and attendant Seyton, Porter,
- House of Banquo- Banquo (Macbeth’s friend), and his son Fleance
- House of Macduff- Macduff (Thane of Fife), Lady Macduff and their son.
- Three Witches
- Other Characters included- Ross, Lennox, Caithness, Angus and Menteith (Scottish Thanes), Siward(Earl of Northumberland and a General) and his son, Lady Macbeth’s doctor, Hecate(Goddess of Witchcraft) and three murderers(guards of King Duncan).
William Shakespeares Characters in Julius Caesar
- House of Caesar- Julius Caesar and his wife Calpurnia
- Triumvirs Octavius Caesar, Marcus Antonius, M. Aemilius Lepidus
- Portia- wife of Brutus
- Conspirators plotting against Julius – Cassius, Casca Trebonius, Ligarius, Decius Brutus, Marcus Brutus, Metellus Cimber, and Cinna
- Senators Cicero, Publius, Popilius Lena
- Tribunes Flavius and Marullus
- Other Characters included- Artemidorus, A Soothsayer, Cinna (poet), Friends of Brutus and Cassius(Lucilius, Titinius, Messala, Cato the younger, Volumnius and Strato), Soldiers of Brutus and Cassius (Claudius, Varro and Clitus), Labe and Flavius(officers in the army of Brutus), Servants Lucius, Dardanius and Pindarus, Another poet, a messenger, cobbler, carpenter, and other soldiers, senators, attendants and plebians.
William Shakespeares Characters in Romeo and Juliet
- House of Verona- Prince Escalus(ruling prince), Count Paris(a kinsman of Escalus), Mercutio(a kinsman of Escalus and friend of Romeo)
- House of Montague- Montague and his wife, their son Romeo, Benvolio (cousin of Romeo and also his friend), Servants Abram and Balthasar.
- House of Capulet- Capulet and his wife, their daughter Juliet, Juliet’s cousin Tybalt, The Nurse (Juliet’s personal attendant and confidante), Servants Peter, Sampson, and Gregory.
- Supporting Characters included- Friar Laurence( Franciscan friar and Romeo’s confidante), A Chorus, Friar John(delivers a letter to Romeo from Friar Laurence) and lastly an Apothecary(sells poison to Romeo).