Below is the list of very famous and historical pirates of all time categorized base on their nationality and characteristics. Pirate Crew generally consisted of Captain, Quarter Master, Gunner, Boatswain, Sawbones, Carpenters.
Famous Portuguese Pirate Names
- José Joaquim Almeida was a Barbary Corsair who fought in the Anglo-American War and Argentine war of Independence.
- Simon Fernandes was a 16th-century pirate and navigator.
- Moses Cohen Henriques
- Simon Mascarino was a Portuguese pirate active in the Caribbean.
- Manuel Ribeiro Pardal
- Bartholomew Roberts was a pioneer of ‘The Pirate’s Code’.
British Pirate Names
- Edward Coates, operating in the Indian Ocean and the Red Sea during the late 17th century.
- Edward Teach or Edward Thatch also known as Blackbeard
- James Alday was active during the mid-16th century.
- Israel Hands
- Henry Jennings, who served as the leader of the pirate heaven known as “Republic of New Providence”.
- George Booth, one of the earliest pirate who was active in the Red Sea and the Indian Ocean.
- George Lowther
- Edward Low, who was born in poverty and later became a famous pirate during the latter days of the Golden age of Piracy.
- Charles Swan
- John Phillips is noted for ‘The Revenge’ which is one of only four articles to survive from the Golden age of piracy.
- John Martel
- Henry Mainwaring, who was a naval officer with the Royal Navy.
- Stede Bonnet
- Sir Walter Raleigh
- Sir Andrew Barton
- Alexander Dalzeel was a 17th-century pirate.
- John Gow
- “Red Legs” Greaves, was active in the West Indies and the Caribbean in the late 17th century.
- William Kidd was tried and executed for piracy charges after he returned from the Indian Ocean voyage.
Names of Italian Pirates
- Vincenzo Alessandri was an Italian Knight of Malta.
- Roger de Flor, was a military adventure and involved in active battles in Italy, Sicily, and the Eastern Roman Empire.
- Vincenzo Gambi was considered as the most violent and bloodthirsty pirate in the early 19th century.
- Andrea Morisco was active in the Aegean Sea during the late 13th Century.
- John Cabot
- Giovanni da Verrazzano
- ManselAlcantra is infamously remembered for carrying out incidents of mass murder.
- Lope de Aguirre
- José Gaspar is known by his nickname ‘Gasparilla’.
- Augustin Blanco used to attack in open boats and had fellow pirates from mixed-race.
- ÁngelGarcía, whose nickname was Cabeza de Perro which translates in English as Dog Head.
- Nicholas de Concepcion, who was one of the few black pirates of his time.
- Pedro de la Plesa
- Benito de Soto was the captain of BurlaNegra.
- Malika Fadel ben Salvador
- Hernando Cortes
- Nicolas Brigaut, who was associated with fellow pirate Michel de Grammont.
- Michel de Grammont, primarily attacked Puerto Cabello, Gibraltar, Cumana,Trujillo, La Guaira,Maracaibo.
- Jean Charpin, was active off the coast of Africa and in the Caribbean.
- Mathurin Desmarestz
- Anne Dieu-Le-Veut, who was one of the very few female French buccaneers along with JacquotteDelahaye.
- Pierre Francois is known for his attack on Spanish pearl-diving fleet.
- Francois Grogniet was active against the Pacific coast of Spanish Central America.
- Pierre le Picard
- Jean Laffite
Famous Female Pirate Names
- Princess Sela was a Norwegian pirate and one of the first known female pirates during 420 A.D.
- Jeanne de Clisson, who was also known as ‘The Lioness of Brittany’.
- Grace O’Malley
- Sadie Farrell
- Lady Mary Killigrew
- JacquotteDelahaye, who was also known as‘Back from the Dead Red’.
- Anne Bonny is one of the most female pirates of all time.
- Mary Read
- Rachel Wall was the last woman to be hanged in Massachusetts.
- Ching Shih, was a female pirate during the early 19th century and mainly active in China Seas.
- Sayyida al Hurra, whose real name was LallaAichabint Ali ibn Rashid al-Alami. She was the last person to hold the title of ‘al-Hurra’ which means Queen.
- Charlotte de Berry
- Cheng I Sao
Famous Pirate Ship Names – Fictional
- Black Pearl, is a fictional ship captained by Jack Sparrow and famously known as “nigh uncatchable”.
- Jolly Roger is the famous English flag to identify a pirate ship which is about to attack. It symbolizes skull and crossbones on a black flag.
- Flying Dutchman, is a legendary ghost ship which is doomed to sail forever and can never make port.
Famous Pirate Ship Names – Non-Fictional
- Adventure Galley was launched in the 17th century.
- Queen Anne’s Revenge, was the 18th-century ship, most famously used as a vessel by Edward Teach.
- Whydah, it was captured by the pirate Captain Samuel “Black Sam” Bellamy.
- Royal Fortune, was the main flagship of famous pirate Bartholomew Roberts.
- Flying Horse
- The Golden Hind
Famous Pirate Captains
- Captain Kidd, was tried and executed for piracy charges after he returned from the Indian Ocean voyage.
- Captain John Rackham
- Captain Sir Francis Drake, was English captain, pirate, naval officer and explorer of the Elizabeth Era.
- Captain Sir Henry Morgan
- Captain Cheung Po Tsai
- Captain Ching Shih
- Captain Calico Jack, whose fellow pirates were Anne Bonny and Mary Read.
- Captain Charles Johnson whose identity is still a mystery, is considered as the author of the famous 1724 book named “A General History of the Robberies and Murders of the most notorious Pyrates”.
- Captain Samuel Bellamy
- The Dread Pirate Roberts is a fictional character in the novel ‘The Princess Bride’.
- Captain Jack Sparrow, is the character and main protagonist of the Pirates of the Caribbean film series.
- Captain Henry Avery
- Hector Barbossa, who is famous for picturizing pirates with Peg Leg, an Eye-patch and a loyal parrot.
- The Black Corsair
- Billy Bones is the fictional character of novel ‘Treasure Island’ authored by Robert Louis Stevenson.